Trying to find ways of reducing monthly energy costs is a constant battle – especially in Arizona. With the cost of heating oil, energy production and natural gas rising, many homeowners in the Phoenix metro area often struggle to pay the energy bill. One of the biggest culprits that contribute to expensive energy bills during the winter is the heating system. However, there are many ways you can reduce heating costs in Arcadia that are simple, efficient and can enhance indoor comfort all at the same time.
Here are 15 of the best ways you can reduce the cost of keeping your home warm during winter in Arizona.
Homes with Heating Oil Systems
It’s not very common these days to have home heating units that run on heating oil in Arizona, but there are still a few units out there that fit this description. If this is the case, there are a few ways you can save money:
- Tip #15 – Negotiate with home heating oil contractors. Sometimes a home heating oil supplier will allow customers to lock in to a rate when the prices are cheaper.
- Tip #14 – Buy heating oil during off-peak seasons. Consider filling up your storage tank in the summer months as the price per gallon is typically lower at this time.
- Tip #13 – Have the home heating system tuned up in spring. Typically an Arcadia heating company may offer discounted rates on furnace maintenance during the non-peak seasons like the spring. By having heating unit maintained early it will operate more efficiently when you need it.
Improve the Overall Energy Efficiency of Your Home
One of the biggest reasons of high-energy bills is an inefficient home. This can be caused by multiple reasons. Here are a few things you can do to improve your energy efficiency and thus – lower your monthly bills:
- Tip #12 – Have an energy audit completed. A professional HVAC contractor in Arcadia can visit your home and inspect all aspects to find deficiencies that exist.
- Tip #11 – Have the ductwork inspected and sealed. According the US Department of Energy, the biggest reason for energy inefficiency inside homes is leaking ductwork.
- Tip #10 – Replace the indoor filters every month. Allowing your heating system and cooling unit to ‘breathe easy’ helps the machines operate more efficiently – thus saving you money. Plus, it will help improve indoor air quality.
- Tip #9 – Have your HVAC system serviced twice per year. Most manufacturers recommend a bi-annual inspection to tighten belts, hoses and make sure everything is mechanically working smooth.
- Tip #8 – Install a programmable thermostat. You can save up to 10 percent annually when you turn your thermostat down while you sleep or during hours when you’re not home in the winter. A programmable thermostat will simplify this process.
- Tip #7 – Check your insulation. An annual ceiling insulation inspection is also critical to saving money on your energy bill – especially in older homes.
- Tip #6 – Install ceiling fans or use them in the winter. Believe it or not, a running ceiling fan is a very efficient way to circulate warmer air though your home – as hot air rises naturally.
- Tip #5 – Make sure that furniture isn’t blocking any vents. Allowing the heating units to breathe reduces drag and thus saves energy.
- Tip #4 – Close the fireplace damper when it’s not in use. This simply allows cold air to enter the home and warm air to escape.
- Tip #3 – Purchase Energy Star® Rated major appliances when they need to be replaced.
- Tip #2 – Heat rooms that you use and turn off vents in rooms that are not occupied frequently.
And the number one tip for saving money during the winter on your energy bills…
Tip #1 – Let the Sunshine Inside Your Home
Mother nature is great at providing us with heat – and since we suffer with above 100 degree temps during half of the year, those of us in Arcadia truly understand this reality. However, during the winter, the sun can naturally heat your home by 10 to 15 degrees when sunlight is allowed to shine inside. Instead of closing window shades or drapes like we do in the summer – open them up and let the sun’s natural heat do the work.
Are you looking for a trustworthy and reliable Arcadia HVAC maintenance company? Call Scottsdale Air to get the job done right the first time at 480-359-7141 today!
Read related articles:
- Does Heater Repair Company in Scottsdale Arizona Offers Deals?
- Winter Energy Saving Tips That Work For Scottsdale Homeowners
- Top 3 HVAC Problems Leading To Heating Repair In Scottsdale AZ