Carefree, AZ residents love so many things about their unique community. There’s the fun Wild West spirit of Frontier Town, chic and scenic The Boulders resort, and the quaint El Pedregal shopping area.
And residents love the rustic backdrop, especially in the winter months when they can cozy up in the comfort of their nice, warm homes.
While many of us take that flip of the switch to warm our homes for granted, we shouldn’t. Regular tune-ups and maintenance of your heat pump and furnace can prevent big problems down the road, extend the life of your system, and ultimately save you money.
The best gift you can give your Carefree, AZ furnace and heat pump — and yourself — is to hire an HVAC company to come out and give it a tune-up and regular maintenance check.
Typically, a heating and air conditioning company will take the following steps during your heat pump maintenance appointment:
- Check electric connections. Anything that’s loose can lead to the system not working up to par or failing due to improper voltage. Or if connections aren’t secure, safety could be at risk.
- Examine other potential fire hazards: gas pressure, burner combustion, and heat exchanger.
- Make sure the unit is running efficiently. If a burner is dirty or a heat exchanger is cracked, the burner will not operate effectively and efficiently.
- A carbon monoxide check. Dirty or malfunctioning systems can lead to deadly carbon monoxide emissions. A professional will make sure your furnace is free of the dangerous gas.
- Examine and calibrate your thermostat. If it’s out of whack, you could be paying more than you need to your utility company and your house won’t heat as efficiently as it should.
- Inspect all the controls and the starting cycle. Make sure the system will start, function, and turn off as it should.
- Check the motor and lubricating any moving parts.
- Look for rust, disconnection, or any sign of back-drafting on the flue piping.
- Take a look at the condensate drain. If it’s clogged, water could damage the furnace and make the house humid.
There are some other tips for around our Carefree, Arizona homes that don’t involve your furnace or heat pump, including:
- Let there be light. Open all your window treatments and let the sun shine through.
- Examine your windows and doors for any sign of a draft. If you detect any, head to your local home improvement or hardware store and get some rubber weather-stripping for window panes and the bottom of doors.
- Change your air filters monthly. This will help keep them as clean as possible and help your system to run efficiently.
- Get cooking. Take advantage of your potential kitchen heat by cooking and baking. Not only will you get your family fed, but you’ll help warm them, too.
- Set your ceiling fans to go in the reverse direction (counter-clockwise in the winter). This will send warm air down into the room.
- Install a programmable thermostat if you haven’t already. This is a big energy and money saver because it lets you turn the heat down while you’re away at work or school or at night when you’re sleeping and covered with your electric blanket.
As you get your to-do list together for the busy months ahead, be sure you include calling a reputable heating and cooling company to provide your heat pump with regular maintenance and a tune-up. You want a quality company with a top-notch reputation for providing the best service.
Scottsdale Air Heating and Cooling has been keeping Carefree, Arizona residents warm and comfortable for 64 years. When you’re ready to have your heater and heat pump checked out for the season, or you’re in need of repair, you’ll want a company you can trust. Give Scottsdale Air Heating and Cooling a call now at (480) 359-7141.
Call (480) 359-7141 to speak with Scottsdale Air